First Blog

     Hello everyone, my name is Vaughan Nagy. I was born in Alaska and have spent my entire life living in this incredible state. I’m currently situated and have always lived on the banks of the Susitna River, located roughly between the towns of Willow and Talkeetna. This location isn’t only perfect for its natural beauty, but also for the opportunities it provides to explore said beauty. With both Hatcher Pass and Denali State Park only a one-hour drive away, I’ve grown up hiking and climbing through these wonderful places. I’m currently studying to pursue a major in geo-engineering so I can continue to traverse more of our stunning state as a land surveyor. I am incredibly grateful to be taking this class and can’t wait to see what I’ll learn.  

    From a young age, my parents made sure there was almost always a book in my hand. As soon as I could barely scrawl my name, I got my own library card and began investigating the vast world of literature. Books would be read aloud at every family meal as if they were part of the sustenance that we were receiving. Magazines such as the National Geographic and the Smithsonian were chopped up and discussed like green onions at a chili contest. You might be wondering, why am I discussing literature when talking about my relationship with art? Well, for me, literature was the gateway that led to my personal discovery of the world of art. As I stated earlier, a big part of my childhood reading consisted of the National Geographic and Smithsonian magazines. Both of these publications constantly showcased different types of art and artists from across time and geography. This was mirrored in the fabulous picture books that were a mainstay in my youth. The way these magazines and books shed light on both the art and artist in an informative and interesting way instantly hooked me even at a young age. My parents further fostered this interest by taking me to see myriad art displays up close at the breathtaking Rasmuson Center. These experiences instilled me with a lifelong appreciation for the arts that has lasted to this very day. Unfortunately, my personal artistic abilities never exceeded beyond being able to draw slightly deranged looking stick figures. However, even with my lack of talent I still take enjoyment in doodling and drawing. I’m exceptionally excited about how this class will explore the amazing varieties of artistic genres in a fun and engaging format. The world of art has limitless boundaries and ideas, and I can’t wait to see what we will find.


As I've mentioned above, I'm a huge fan of the Smithsonian, especially the art section of their digital website. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/tag/art/


As an individual whose favorite form of entertainment is reading, so much of my exposure to art comes from books. In this case, the amazing graphic novel series the Amulet.



 

Comments

  1. I love Denali State Park. It has been years since I have been there, but I thought it was a hidden gem. Your upbringing sounds a lot like mine, I even got to go to the National Geographic headquarters as a pre-teen, and of course the Smithsonian and all the art galleries. I think you're going to enjoy this class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live on the other side of Hatcher Pass in Wasilla (or Tanaina). The drive between us through the pass has some of the most breathtaking scenery in the state. I know I'm biased based on proximity, but it's well worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Smithsonian! I lived in Maryland and was able to visit the Museum of Natural History when I was 14. I also got a lot of my love for art from science roots! I really enjoyed reading your first blog post, and I look forward to seeing more from you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Preferences and Perspectives - The Romantic Era

Classical Era Revolution Art Exhibition